Turbo Demo Reel
- 00:00:00 - Spinout tire smoke.
- 00:00:02 - Billowing smoke clouds, smoke trail, lens flare. The smoke clouds were an animated geometric surface rasterized into a volume and rendered using iterative depth map blurring to simulate light passage.
- 00:00:07 - Tire smoke on landing and takeoff. For this, I used typical fluid dynamics with an in-house fluid solver.
- 00:00:08 - Droplets of water. These were created using sculpted geometry and animated with procedural noise when the engine turns on.
- 00:00:27 - Puddle splash.
- 00:00:32 - Piston explosions. I animated a single fluid sim and then instanced it with timed offsets for each of the eight pistons.
- 00:00:35 - Blue exhaust flames.
- 00:00:40 - Sink faucet. The water uses a particle sim, which emits a secondary volume sim for the steam.
- 00:00:47 - Breaking bottles. Uses an in-house RBD simulator to fracture and animate the bottle shards.
- 00:00:50 - Tire marbles along the racing track. Combination of hand-animated debris for close-up pieces, RBD sim for medium distance, and an LOD-based particle instancing setup which I designed for the racetrack shots across the film.
- 00:00:51 - Collision sparks and debris. Most of the large pieces were hand-animated.
- 00:00:54 - Tire marbles.
- 00:00:56 - Turbo trail and take-off smoke.
- 00:01:06 - Heat distortion. The tricky part was making it accurate in stereo, and the setup was later propagated to other shots.
- 00:01:10 - Turbo trail.
- 00:01:13 - Hero tire marbles, also using combination of hand animation, RBD sims, and particle instancing.
- 00:01:18 - Collision sparks, debris, vehicle deformation.
- 00:01:23 - All of the above plus tread marks.
- 00:01:27 - Glass destruction. Used a prototype version of the in-house RBD engine.